Author: Kenneth Oppel Genre: Fiction Setting: Modern times in Victoria, Canada. Ben's family now includes a chimp due to an experiment of his father's…
3) Soon after Ben moves to Victoria, he meets Jennifer Godwin, a 13- year old girl who goes to the same school he goes to. Ben develops a crush on her and she returns his affection later on. He becomes obsessed with her, even taking note of everything she does. Later, Jennifer stops loving Ben and the two argue. She still smiles at him in the hallways of the school, but she no longer loved him.
A Bryan media blog
1) Ben, a 13 years old boy, is the main character in Half Brother. He, along with his mother and father, move across Canada to help support an experiment his father is conducting. In this new enviroment, Ben has to start his life over in with new people in a different school. He falls in love with a girl named Jennifer and becomes good friends with other people. Ben helps out in Zan's learning and becomes very close to him.
10) Later, Ben dreams of Zan and the two sign to each other with words beyond their vocabulary. The two exchange words and Ben admits he is sorry for what his family did to Zan; taking him away from his mother, pretending he's a human then abandoning him to a sanctuary. Zan didn't blame him, saying that there were things in the house he couldn't get in the wild. The two then forget past troubles and show affection towards each other.
U.S moves toward curbing research on chimpanzees
9) The story of Ben's departure with Zan spread all over the nation by media. Somehow, the letters concerning Zan's price were exposed and Helson gave up Zan to prevent further embarrassment. Ben's family was still unable to keep Zan though, and had to send him off to a sanctuary. Ben was assured that Zan would never be given to any labs, however Ben was not able to get Zan back no matter how much he wanted to.
8) Ben, who is now desperate to keep Zan away from Helson, runs off into a forest and settles beside a pond. His friend, Tim who meets him on the way, promises to bring food for the two. However, a couple of bullies led a kid named Mike finds Ben and Zan and they all get into a fight in which Ben could have died in. Zan saves Ben, but it results in his hand being severely injured.
7) Ben considered Zan as a brother to him and refused to return the chimp back to the university. Helson agreed to let Ben keep Zan for $20,000. Ben's family started a donation pool and were able to get the $20,000 they need to buy Zan. However, Helson went back on his word and refused to let them keep Zan and threatened to press criminal charges if he is not returned. Ben was terribly upset by this news, but was determined to get Zan back.
6) Peter, who was enrolled in Siegal University, heard rumors about Zan going to be sold despite previous agreements. Then when Ben saw letters concerning Zan's price, he and his mother stole the chimp from the compound to protect him from being used in biomedical research. Jack Helson, who looked after the chimps, demanded Zan be returned immediately, claiming he was a valuable chimp and he never intended to sell him.
5) Ben's family was unable to keep Zan since they shut down the experiment, so they sold him over to Siegal University where Zan was kept in a concrete compound with other chimps. It was hard for Zan to fit in since he had been living with humans for nearly two years, and the other chimps wouldn't accept him easily. Ben was heartbroken by this decision, but went along with it.
4) Zan was taught American Sign Language, as he could not speak words. Throughout the book, Zan makes good progress on his learning and is taught around two words per week. By this time, Ben's family is confident that they will receive a big grant that will cover all of the expenses of teaching and raising Zan. However, they did not receive the grant and Ben's father decides to shut down the project. They had no funding and believed that Zan was not learning proper language.
Chimpanzee, facts and photos
2) Zan is a young chimp that was brought into Ben's family from a research lab. His father wanted to see if chimps can learn language as well as humans. Zan was treated like an addition to the family and became a brother to Ben. They invited a fellow college student named Peter to help out with Zan, and the three of them were very close with each other.